Care services in your home provided throughout London, contact us to learn more.

Companions of London

Your care is our care

Tuesday 18th of December 2018

Phone Number: 020 3519 8001

Email Address: [email protected]

Funding respite care

  • Posted by:
  • Admin
  • Tags:
  • Funding respite care
  • Posted date:
  • 03-06-2016
Funding respite care

Funding Respite Care

It’s vital for your health and well-being to take regular breaks from the physical and emotional pressures of caring. If you need regular respite, or a holiday to rest away from your loved one you may be able to get some help towards the costs.

Check your benefits

The first thing to do is make sure you are receiving all the benefits to which you are entitled. Look into Carer’s allowance and Disability Living Allowance as well as your eligibility for income support, tax credits and housing or council tax benefits. Consider a carer’s assessment to access support and financial assistance.

Carer’s Assessment

The local authority will assess the way the care you provide is impacting on your health, lifestyle and wellbeing. Through a series of questions they’ll work out exactly what support you need, while also bearing in mind your personal preferences and feelings. If providing the necessary care for your loved one is causing your health to deteriorate, or negatively affecting your wellbeing you may be entitled to financial support or practical assistance.

After your carer's assessment you can decide on a support plan with the social work team, breaks could be an important part of this support strategy.

Direct payments

If you’re assessed as having needs, you will be allocated a personal budget to help purchase care. This can be taken as a direct payment, which could be used to hire an in-home care worker through an agency, pay for a supported holiday or cover the costs of your loved one spending a short time in a residential home, while you rest and recuperate.

Local authority care

The local authority can arrange services for you, so that you can take the break you need. You could choose council carers who will come into your house to look after your loved one or use regular day care facilities.

Respite grants

Check if your local authority provides respite or carer grants. These are vouchers that can be swapped for services from care agencies or residential homes. The grant could help cover the cost of live-in care workers, extra homecare or a short residential break.

Check out charities

Charities and benevolent funds may be able to lend hand with holiday costs, whether you are travelling with your loved one or taking a break away. Your local carers' group can provide information about possible funding in your region.

  • Saga Respite for Carers Trust can help unpaid carers aged 50 and over by providing a much needed holiday.
  • The Family Fund provides grants towards holiday costs for low-income families caring for a child with a severe disability.
  • The Family Holiday Association provides grants to assist with the cost of a holiday for families on a low income or funds breaks at a holiday sites. You should be referred by your social worker, GP or by a charity.
  • Revitalise provide respite breaks for disabled people and carers of all ages.

Will a break affect my benefits?

Benefits may be affected if you spend some time away from your caring duties, or if your loved one goes into hospital or a residential facility. You are allowed up to four weeks break in any twenty-six week period and still receive your carer’s allowance.

Find out more about the range of respite care services that we offer throughout London.